The area between the preliminary wall and the actual wall to the West, no mans land
(on the side Facts you can find a portrayal of it - please just click)

Meanwhile, the former location of the wall, can be followed for 20km thanks to a double course of granit slabs.

Print the route
Please do not click the "normal" Map with the print option of your internet programm.
We have put a comprehensive path description incl. pictures, a map and a few location sketches to your disposal for downloading.
Please click Print

Memorial library in honour of the victims of the Stalin regime
Special library for Fact- and " erzählender Literatur" about the causes and consequences of Soviet Communism comprising approx. 7000 Volumes aswell as sound- and videotapes of the frequently held library exhibitions.
Further information at (just click)
Nikolaikirchplatz 5-7
tel. +49 (030) 283 43 27
fax +49 (030) 280 97 193
open Tues - Thurs 10.00 - 18.00 by arrangement

  The memorial fence
The memorial fence, with its 16 crosses, pays tribute to the victims of the wall, who lost their lives between 1961 and 1989 in an attempt to flee from East to West. These include among others: Axel Hannemann, Marienetta Jirkowski and Chris Goeffroy.

Watchtower in the Kieler street

Invalid cemetry
The Invalid cemetry is over 250 years old. It includes recently unveiled sarcophagus trench memorials dating back to the last third of the 18th centuary, thus making it one of the most remarkable Berlin cemeteries. From 1961 large areas of the cemetry, where the wall passed, became part of the border zone.The graves that lay within no mans land were removed by the GDR officials. Today, information boards tell us about the topography of this border zone.

The parliament of trees
The memorials are dedicated to the victims of the war and to the German seperation. The large 400 m² green area was designed by multinational artists. The basis is made up of tree plantations aswell as segments of the wall on display, granit slabs and sculptures.
(Foto - please click)

"Tränenpalast" palace of tears
Former GDR border offcials´ dispatch office for visitors from the West Berlin or West Germany who left East Berlin using the "Friedrichstrasse" station. Today an important cultural location where Jazz-, Rock- and Pop concerts, by renoumned artists, are held.
"Reichtagsufer 17"
tel. +49 (030) 238 62 11
(Foto - please click)

Brandenburg gate
Today the Brandenburg gate is the main symbol for the recovery of the Town and country from their devision. It was built in 1771 by the architect Carl Gotthard Langhaus wo used the draft of the Acropolis.

Hamburger station - Contemporary museum
Formely a town station, it is used today as a museum for contemporary art with international renoumn.
Invalidenstraße 50-51
(for further information pleas click)

The Reichstag was built in an Italian late renaissance style. It burnt to the ground on the 27th of Febuary 1933 and was renovated in the sixtees. Since the Reichstag was renovated and partially rebuilt accoding to plans by the British architect Sir Normann Forster, it has become, since September 1999, the permanent seat of the German Bundestag.
(further information is available on the Bundestag Homepage - please click)

Listed buildings on campus worth seeing.

Please wait while loading...